Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Deal with it

As I stand in the checkout line of Walmart waiting to pay for one of those "insane" deals only makes me realize that after fuel & time did not make it worth the deal. At all.

It makes me wonder about how many other times a seemingly great deal ends up costing us more in the long run. I remember quite a number of years ago, I saw a small boat motor for sale in Peterborough. At the time I lived about 45 minutes north or Toronto and so just the driving time alone would be at least 2 - 3 hours to go pick this thing up. And then there is the return trip. So in reality, I would have spent about $25 in fuel and of course my time to pickup something that retailed for about $50 cheaper than other places. Why did I feel it was worth it? I think it is partially because I felt that I "found the deal" and I wanted to take advantage of it. It was mine for the taking. If people ask, I could say "Hey, I got this boat motor for this much money! And they may look in awe but the fact is, it cost me a lot more than what I mentioned, all summed up.

There are GOOD deals out there. Many times they are few and far between. Can't do much but sit and wait for them to happen, or perhaps you could be proactive and look for them, but it begins into that vicious cycle again---lump in the time you spent looking for the deal into the final cost of the deal. It might not end up being a deal at all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment